Economic empowerment has been a pillar of the National Urban League since its inception in 1910.
The Greater Phoenix Urban League recognizes now, just as it was then, that the key to safe, sustainable and thriving communities is ensuring individuals have the resources and opportunities to be economically self-sufficient. Every individual deserves the opportunity to earn a liveable wage – with benefits or to pursue their passion of potentially launching their own successful businesses.
We meet these needs of our community by establishing a foundation of financial literacy. Through workshops and education, the Greater Phoenix Urban League creates career opportunities and skills training through our Workforce Development programs.
We also support business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs through our bootcamp classes, as well as providing access to financial pipelines through our Entrepreneurship Center.
Workforce Partners — PARTNER WITH US
To continue accomplishing these goals, we actively develop relationships with corporations, hiring managers and staffing agencies to increase employment opportunities for the community we serve.
Our work goes beyond simply placing individuals with hiring companies, but rather aim to provide individuals the opportunity to build sustainable careers through:
- Apprenticeships & Internships
- Management Trainee Programs
- Job Placement Services
- Re-entry Employment Services
- Job & Skills Training
- Summer Youth Employment Program
The companies we partner with in this effort are critically important to us. In this effort, we’ve created a number of outlets to allow these employer partners to fulfill their own employment needs.
- Career Showcase: Virtual events spotlighting our corporate partners and their hiring opportunities
- Job Board: Virtual job board allows our corporate partners to list career opportunities targeting our community members
- Candidate Database : Our candidate database includes individuals from varied industries, skills and education levels, including every member of our Young Professionals group
- Social Media Repository: We have established separate social media accounts on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to advertise and serve as a repository for employment opportunities
The Greater Phoenix Urban League works with private, public and non-profit resources to build strong, sustainable and successful minority businesses through our Entrepreneurship Center. The result is job & wealth creation and better economic health in our communities.
Our Entrepreneurship Center has a multitude of resources for emerging businesses and business owners, including:
- Start-up Bootcamps: A 12-week entrepreneurship bootcamp, providing instruction and guidance on launching a business from the ground up, including classes in business planning, marketing, accounting, branding, access to capital and more.
- Training & Workshops: In partnership with Comerica Bank, we offer monthly ‘Business Sense Bootcamps’ covering topics vital to business owners and entrepreneurs.
- Access to Capital: A major obstacle to small business owners is the availability of sufficient capital to support their enterprise. In this effort, we are continuing to expand our network of financial institutions to ensure businesses have the necessary capital to thrive.
- Urban Expo: Led by our Young Professionals, this annual event provides a platform for our local businesses to introduce their products and services to the community. Each year, the Urban Expo attracts nearly 100 vendors and more than 1,000 attendees.